Thursday, April 1, 2010

White Lava March 31st, 2010


The variety of landscapes in this area is fascinating, I have often noticed this off white lumpy textured rock near the top of the Renner Ridge and wanted to touch it, walk on it, experience it. It sounds (and looks) like the last dry day for a while, so today Bear Dog and I took a different 2 track on the back side of Renner Wildlife Preserve - I'm so happy I decided to risk it. I got a close look at the rocks I've been so curious about, I swear they look like white lava, like a cake decorator carefully decorated the earth with vanilla butter frosting, in swirls and swishes, buttons and rosettes - and it hardened into rock (I've had frosting turn out like that.)
Someday someone is going to have to explain these things to me.

Because I took this trail on a whim, and no one knew where I was, (yes, I know, NEVER do that again!) once it turned a little slick, I decided to turn around before running into problems. That means I didn't get close enough to touch it yet, but that also means I'll have somewhere new to set my sights on for a hike! Hard to believe this is 15 minutes from my house.

I wonder what the pioneers thought when they saw this kind of thing, I wonder if they were in awe, in fear, or disappointed because it wasn't productive land. I wonder if the Indians thought it was a special place. I wonder how much it has changed in 100 years.


As I watch the clouds thicken and begin to spit, I know I have to make it back to safer roads quickly, I'm always torn at this point because I want to stay and explore. Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment